There are literally thousands of diets out there. Some are based on science, but others are mostly hype. That’s why it’s so important for us to be well-informed with the latest facts regarding diets and how they impact our health and quality of life.
This course explores many different diets and it reveals their various levels of safety and effectiveness. It was created by the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), which for over 30 years has built its reputation on evidence-based recommendations that adhere to rigorous scientific standards. More than 20 experts in nutrition, psychology and behavior change were consulted to provide the most reliable guidance for people of varying ages, ethnicities, backgrounds, food preferences, and goals.
Upon the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe characteristics of the major diets
- Identify body-composition and health claims related to the range of diet types.
- Critique the evidence basis of each diet.
- Use evidence-based strategies to debate popular diet claims.
- Explain the mechanisms and scientific evidence behind trending diets.
- Communicate factual information about different diets if others have questions or wish to explore a specific diet.
- Discussvalid concerns with a one-size-fits-all approach to dieting.
The 5 modules included in this online learning course are:
- Module 1 – Navigating Diets Introduction
- Module 2 – Diet Approaches Based on Macronutrient Composition
- Module 3 – Diet Approaches Based on Food Choices and/or Restrictions
- Module 4 – Diet Approaches based on Time Restricted and/or Fasting
- Module 5 – Diet Psychology
A brief summary of the module content:
- Module 1: Navigating Diets Introduction
- Module 2: Diet Approaches Based on Macronutrient Composition
This section discusses diets such as: Low-Calorie Diet, Low-Fat Diet, Low-Carb Diet, Ketogenic Diet and High-Protein Diet
- Module 3: Diet Approaches Based on Food Choices and/or Restrictions
This section discusses some of the most common restrictive diets, such as: Mediterranean Diet, Vegan Diet and Vegetarian Variations, Paleo Diet, Gluten-Free Diet, and DASH Diet
- Module 4: Diet Approaches based on Time Restricted and/or Fasting
This section will examine dietary approaches that are predominantly based on the timing of meals, such as: Alternate Day Fasting, 5:2 Diet and Time-Restricted Feeding
- Module 5: Diet Psychology
- 5 in-depth modules
- 1 video on Diet Psychology
- Visual learning aids, including charts and infographics
- Final online exam (15 questions)
- Certificate of Completion
- High-quality, digital course portal