This online video workshop focuses on practical techniques for teaching group exercise classes. No matter what format a fitness instructor is teaching, the skills inherent for overall successful group instruction remain the same. AFAA Group Exercise: The Practical Way™ focuses on what it takes to be an effective, safe, and outstanding group exercise instructor. Participants will experience a variety of exercise modalities and will learn practical techniques for teaching a variety of group exercise classes successfully and with confidence.
The course includes:
- Online course materials
- Downloadable workbook
- Online supporting video
- Final online exam
The AFAA Group Exercise: The Practical Way Online course looks at 12 key components in leading a group exercise class:
- Leadership and preparation
- Exercise selection, evaluation and modification
- Class formats
- Music usage, selection and speed
- Cardiorespiratory training
- Instructor orientation
- Resistance training
- Flexibility training
- Class wrap-up
Upon completion of AFAA’s Group Exercise: The Practical Way, you will be able to:
- Identify and understand group leadership responsibilities, and apply knowledge of the general components of a group exercise session to create effective group exercise classes.
- Apply exercise selection, evaluation, and modification techniques utilizing the AFAA 5 QuestionsTM and Exercise Continuum.
- Design, demonstrate, and lead safe and effective warm-ups for a variety of group exercise modalities.
- Apply appropriate exercise guidelines, methods, and proper movement execution for cardiorespiratory, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility training in order to create a variety of effective group exercise classes.
- Integrate the areas of instructional technique, cueing, and music usage within a group exercise class setting.
- Incorporate professionalism in your practice by following the AFAA Code of Ethics and related legal guidelines.
- Online multiple choice exam
- 15 questions
- 3 attempts at the exam
- 70% passing score
- 90 minute time limit
- 365 days to complete
Remarks: All online material can only be accessed using desktop or laptop computer. iPhone, iPad, Windows Phone or Android devices are not supported.