There are many eating patterns available to choose from today and can range across the spectrum from a complete carnivorous diet (meat eating) to a completely herbivorous diet (plant eating). Plant-based diets are diets that rely primarily or entirely on plant-based foods.
This course will help you make sense of the different plant-based diets, the health benefits and common myths around this dietary lifestyle. It was created by the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), which for over 30 years has built its reputation on evidence-based recommendations that adhere to rigorous scientific standards. More than 20 experts in nutrition, psychology and behavior change were consulted to provide the most reliable guidance for people of varying ages, ethnicities, backgrounds, food preferences, and goals.
Upon the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the different plant-based diets and their place within the dietary spectrum.
- Explain the health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Determine how plant-based diets affect weight loss.
- Differentiatethe dietary needs of athletes who adopt plant-based diets.
- Identify common myths about adopting and/or following a plant-based diet.
The content in this course was developed for NASM’s Certified Nutrition Coach (CNC) program. If you’re interested in learning more about nutrition, check out the other topics featured in our Nutrition Series.
The 4 modules included in this online learning course are:
- Module 1 – Introduction to Plant-Based Diets
- Module 2 – Health Benefits of Plant-Based Diets
- Module 3 – Plant-Based Diets for Health and Fitness Goals
- Module 4 – Common Myths of Plant-Based Diets
A brief summary of the module content:
- Module 1: Introduction to Plant-Based Diets
Reviews the plant-based diet spectrum and common variations.
- Module 2:Health Benefits of Plant-Based Diets
Discusses the benefits of eating a plant-based diet, including its relationship to heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
- Module 3: Plant-Based Diets for Health and Fitness Goals
Looks at how to utilize plant-based diets for weight loss, overall effectiveness, and considerations for athletes.
- Module 4: Common Myths of Plant-Based Diets
Discusses common myths around protein, environmental impacts, and more.
- Visual learning aids, including charts and infographics
- Certificate of Completion
- High-quality, digital course portal
- Final online exam (15 questions)
The content in this course was developed for NASM’s Certified Nutrition Coach (CNC) program. If you’re interested in learning more about nutrition, check out the other topics featured in our Nutrition Series